- The new residence card will replace residence permit stickers in the passports as well the existing ID card. The new system will be implemented Starting Monday, 15 June 2015.
- The new card will be of same type and fee as it before. Applicants can choose either normal residence card or smart residence card. The smart Residence Card will offer the same services rendered by the present smart ID card as per the request.
- The new system will be implemented gradually by issuing new residence cards for first time applicants and at the time of renewal of residence permit for existing residents.
- The card will be renewed for one or two or three years or five years for some categories as per request for the same fee as before.
- The Card is the only document that proves the identity of the expatriate resident in Qatar as well his valid residence in Qatar.
- All residence renewal application for govt, public and private company sponsorships will be accepted only electronically. For family and personal sponsorship, applications can be done online or physically at MOI services centers.
- For the first time, the kids get a Residence Card which also serves as an identity card for them. This obliges separation of children added in the passports of their parents.
- For the issuance of Residence Card, the passport should be produced for the first time only and renewal will not require the passport or any other documents.
- The residents should show the Residence Card whenever they enter and exit the country.
- Qatar has informed all countries as well as the airline companies around the world about the new system of Residence Card in Qatar and to consider it as the official document to prove the residence permit in Qatar.
The Ministry of Interior (MOI) announced at a press conference today abolition of affixing resident permit stickers in passports of expatriates replacing it with new residence cum ID card. Assistant Director General of the General Directorate of Nationality, Passports and Expatriates Affairs Brigadier Mohamed Ahmed Al Ateeq said that new system will be implemented starting Monday, 15 June 2015.
The new system will be implemented gradually by issuing new residence cards for first time applicants and at the time of renewal of residence permit for existing residents. Those who have valid RPs on their passports will not be given new residence cards before the expiry of their residence permit, except in case of change of passport.
All residence renewal application for govt, public and private company sponsorships will be accepted only electronically (Metrash2, MoI website, e-government web portal) and the cards will be dispatched by post. For family and personal sponsorship, applications can be done online or at physically at MOI services centres.
The new card will be the only valid ID for the resident expatriate in Qatar to prove his identity as well as residence validity. For the first time, the kids also to get a Residence Card which also serves as an identity card for them. For that purpose, children added on passports of their parents shall have spate passports as they will have their own Residence cards.
Capt. Abdullah Khalifa Al Muhannadi said that new card system will ease procedures, reduce rush at MOI centers and save passport pages of expats and supports vision of Ministry of Interior to move to a paperless admin system